OUR HISTORY

 

 

 

Several Oasis Shriners organized the Red Fez Club in 1915 and incorporated it on the 14th day of April 1917.

Noble John Dabbs, Past Potentate of the Oasis Temple,  became its first President. When the Club was formed

the United States was in the midst of World War 1 (1914-1918) and times were hard. In those early years, the

Club not only had to deal with the repercussions of the war, but it had to deal with the Federal Liquor and

Beer Prohibition (1920-1933),  the Stock Market crash of 1929, and the Great Depression that followed

 

All Red Fez Club, Inc. members were Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, but were not affiliated with any particular

Shrine Temple. The reason being that the members did not want to operate  under the very strict current rules

and regulations as set forth by the Imperial Council. In essence, the Red Fez Club was a club for Shriners,

but not a Shrine Club. The object and purpose, for which the  Club was founded, was to form a social club for

Shriners and that, among other reasons, would “advance and promote the literary tastes,

activities and opportunities of its members.

 

In the fall of 1917, the Club moved to 122 South Tryon Street next to the Imperial Theatre. It occupied the second,

third, and fourth floors over Conner Sherrills Bank, which later became the Bank of Charlotte.  The lobby, a reading

room, a billiard and game room, and a barber shop were on the 3rd floor. From the balcony on that floor,  many

parades were viewed and cheered by members of the Club.